Tuesday 29 September 2009

What Is Graphic Design?

Marjane Satrapi's 'Persepolis' was my first experience of a graphic novel.... I like collecting comics, but purely for the illustration rather than the literary content. That was why I was so surprised at how much a pictured based book could be so moving and interesting. I felt the same way when I watched the film. Again I felt shocked at how emotion could be provoked from what is, essentially, a cartoon. I am interested in what elements (graphically) distinguish it from a simple comic or cartoon. In this example, the monochromatic colour clearly play a key part in creating an atmosphere and a tone for the novel, the only other colour being red to distinguish between the present and the past being reflected. From this I have become interested in Manga and feel far more compelled to try and take it seriously.




No comments:

Post a Comment