Tuesday 30 November 2010

Kinetic type


I like the movement of the shot in this video; the way that the shot jerks around the type as though it is laid out on one large sheet of digital paper.


The purpose of this video is purely humour driven, however I like the way that each piece of type flows into the other, making use of the negative space in the letters. For example the gaps act as windows for the shot creating a sense of movement in the viewer.


I am looking this as an example of illustrated moving type. I know that this is not relevant for the 'Silent Movie' brief, however it's something I want to look at as part of the module. I really dont like the way that the type is over digitalized making it look like a bad vectorized object. I think it would look better if it had retained more of its hand drawn quality.


In this example the motion type is 3 dimensional which I think is a really interesting way of making the type look more 'alive'. I like the way the text crawls around the buildings like some kind of creature.


I love both the book and the film of 'Fear and loathing in Las Vegas'. I know that this is a theme that has been over used and mass produced but I like this particular motion type video because of the sense of movement through the shots and the use of the original Ralph Steadman typography used for the book title and chapter titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment